Saturday, November 3, 2007

My Strongest Argument

My strongest argument is that regardless of the fact that in many peoples eyes he isn't a good role model for the everyday person watching a ski competition, a recreational skiier or even a parent of a racer for the racer himself/herself he is an amazing role model. He shows racers that the sport isn't all about ending up on the podium after the race but about doing your personal best and reaching the fastedt speed you can flying down the mountain. The fact that he made the careless remark about racing drunk is not what a good role model would do, but the fact that he said it in a light hearted moment while chuckling as opposed to how "60 Minutes" made it the enitre news story. "It was not presented in the press release as a light moment. It was presented without context, leading anyone reading it to assume that the "drunk skiing" episode would be the heart of the story and that it was, on balance, news. Neither of these things was true.."-Sports Illustrated Tom Layden. And, lets face it all ski racers are around the apres ski party, where parents and coaches have dinner and celebrate the exhilarating day of skiing that is now left behind them. As a racer myself and having many friends on a ski team with me, I know that when this controversy occured my friends and I all looked up to Bode Miller. We all thought "Oh, the same old Bode is being a rebel." But, one thing I know is that none of us thought, Bode raced drunk..so why dont we. The racers who were old enough to know about the controversy were also the ones who knew that it wasn't anything that we should be trying. All in all, Bode is a good role model because he shows racers of all ages that the sport of ski racing isnt about winning but more about doing your personal best. I know as a ski racer this is a nice change from your parents and coaches worried about the winning and ending up on the podium at the end of the day. My friends and I look up to Bode for the good morals he has not for the mistakes he make as a normal human being would as well.

No comments: